Friday, December 10, 2010

An adventure in trains

I was sad to leave Romania. Everyone was just so nice and I felt really safe and comfortable there. I think part of it was that I was worried about traveling across 4 countries by train by myself.
So the first leg was to Prague, from Bucharest, with a transfer in Budapest, Hungary. Cristi's mom was nice enough to take me to the train station. She doesn't speak English, so I followed her. We had a long ride on the metro...sat in somewhat-comfortable silence...Oh, cuz both Cristi and Iulia were back at work. But Cristi was meeting us at the train station. Mrs.Malesh and I got to the station fine, and figured out what platform I needed to be at...and then we waited for Cristi.

He made his entrance by sneaking up and pretending to steal from my backpack. He was always warning me to keep my eye on my bags. Cristi's older brother David showed up too...we met once previously...he must've been in the area or something. Or I left such a powerful impression on him, he just HAD to say goodbye in person...yeah, that was it.

Anyways, we had a heck of a time finding the car I was supposed to be in. The numbers didn't seem to match up...but we found the best match...which I think was actually in the second class car...and I had tickets for first class (hoitey-toitey, I know, I just figured I'd be safer with the fewer people in first class). But the car was pretty much empty, so I was put at ease. The only thing that worried me about train travel by myself was the idea that I'd be in a crammed car and that I wouldn't feel safe. But luckily that wasn't the case. I got on the train, Cristi and I had our goodbyes...oh, and I took the huge bag of sandwiches Iulia and Mrs.Malesh had made for me. Sandwiches and fruit. They're so wonderful.

Bucharest is in the more southeastern part of Romania. I had to travel due west, through Hungary and Slovakia to get to the Czech Republic. So I traveled through the bulk of Romania. The train left at 2 or so, so for a while there was light out, and I got to see the beautiful countryside.

This was my attempt to get a shot of a cemetery. They can really tell you a lot about a culture.


Not so much countryside, but I liked all the lines at this stop.

I took this for the fluffy clouds, but the gas station is great too!


So the train would stop at various stations throughout Romania, pick up more passengers...but the car I was in never got full. A bunch of young people got on in the middle of the night somewhere, I think near Bran. They were goth and all and had touristy shirts about vampires in Bran...they were a bit noisy, but quieted down after a while. Sleeping wasn't the most comfortable, but I managed. Here's how another passenger managed:
Yes, that's the top of his head peering out over his collar...he went turtle style and pulled his whole shirt up so it covered his face...?

I slept somewhat through the night. I was kind of worried about missing my transfer, in Budapest at 5am or so, so I'd keep waking up to check the time. We got in later than expected, so I missed my 10 minute window to switch trains. What was I thinking with that scheduling? 10 minutes to navigate a foreign train station? Needless to say, it didn't happen. I got to the right platform right as my train was pulling away. I could've done the dramatic run-for-the-train thing...but I wasn't feeling it. There's always another train.

So there I was...Budapest...at 5am with the next train at 9:30 or so. That was the longest morning. It was kind of fun to watch the station come to life. Yeah, I just stayed put in the station. Lame? Maybe. Lazy? Yes. Chicken? Heck yes. I thought I'd be all set in the station, I still had a bag full of sandwiches and fruit...I was golden. Or I would've been if it hadn't been for the stupid bathrooms! You have to pay to use 'em! So I had to exchange money for some measly coins to pay the creep-o bathroom bouncer. 

But the hours slowly crept on by, and I treated myself to a Hungarian candy bar...ha, it was a Snickers. It was a really pretty station. Small, but nice.



This time I made a point to find the right car, hoping first class was a bit more comfortable. It was just the same, maybe a little more spaced out. So from Budapest to Prague I sat across from a nice American man, who had been in Hungary for a month or so. He was spending 2 or 3 weeks in Prague...then going to Korea ? and back to Europe somewhere. He was really interesting. Early 30s, good looking, a lawyer...we swapped travel stories.  It was fun to have someone to talk to. Since I still had leftover Hungarian bathroom money, I made my way to the fancy dining car and had crepes with chocolate! MMmmm. There was a group of older English travelers who were fun to eavesdrop on. And again, the views were beautiful.

We traveled a ways along the Daube River.

 We got into Prague around 5pm or so. My dad had asked a friend of his who worked at the Embassy there to meet up with me and have lunch. Well, lunch had come and gone and I hadn't shown up. So of course he emailed my dad...who got super worried...But I called the guy and explained and he said he'd let Dad know. So instead of meeting with him, I left my luggage in the station (in a secure locker) and went out for a stroll. I didn't have a map so I ended up following street signs with little pictures. At one point I could tell I hit a major road and then I basically just followed the crowds of tourists.

I have a lot of pictures of buildings. They are all just so beautiful and interesting!

Entering the Old Town area

The astronomical clock...not sure how it differs from other clocks...except it's really pretty

A nice stranger took a pic of me after I took one of him...but he caught me getting worried about someone stepping in front of the picture...ha

Me and some Korean tourists

This was a beautiful synagogue I stumbled upon on a side street on my way back to the train station. I was just floored by all the colors and patterns...amazing!

I made it back to the station by the time it was getting dark. I still had a few hours to wait for my train to Krakow. So I got my luggage, got dinner at Burger King...and then sat and waited. Luckily I had my handy little seat cane. I can't believe I never got any pictures of it. It's this cane/seat my Grampy got for me. Folded up you can use it as a supportive cane. Tired? Unfold it and it's a comfortable seat. It came in handy. When we finally got to board the train, I was soooo happy to have my own little compartment!



It was actually quite comfortable!

I liked how there was a space for everything. Oh look! Bottom right corner! The cane/seat!
I slept soundly through the night and awoke 30 minutes or so before we pulled into the station in Krakow. Overall I had a lovely time on the trains of Europe. I'd do it again in a heartbeat and I'd recommend everyone give train travel a try!

3 comments:

Amy Beth said...

I love this post! So many lovely quirky details. I want to see your Grampy's cane/chair!

Nope said...

We miss you!

Heather said...

Only just found out you had a blog. Wish desperately we had discovered it earlier. We love you and miss you, Kalia.