Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thank you BBC

Oh how I love thee...let me count the ways...


1) Pride and Prejudice-this is where it all started. I don't remember who first introduced me to this mini series...it might have been the lady I babysat for in high school...anyway, this is the must see rendition of Pride and Prejudice. I use this version as a measuring stick for all other versions. The new movie is good in some respects, but this version covers the whole book so well. And the actors ARE the characters, they are just so perfect. I think that's why Colin Firth seems to always be in Mr. Darcy type roles in all of his latest movies.

2) Robin Hood-this show is awesome. It follows Robin and his adventures, but makes him all hip and sexy. It's kinda like the movie A Knights Tale, and how they bring in modern elements...like all the clothes and stuff look authentic, but with a modern twist. PLUS there are some good lookin' guys on here, which always makes watching anything more bearable.

3) North and South-Netflix had recommended this for me for a while before I actually watched it. I thought it was about the Civil War...but it's not. It's about this family from refined Southern England who has to move up North, to the industrial area of England. Intrigue and romance ensue. I totally love this show and the characters...it's one of those that ends and leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy.


4) Doctor Who-There was an older show, from the 70's and 80's...but this is the new series, starting in 2004 I think. So this show is about the Doctor who is a Time Lord, he travels through time and to different planets. Him and his sidekick get into all kinds of interesting situations. At first I didn't like the whole Sci-Fi aspect of this show, but just enjoyed the time travel part. I've gotten more into it now and really like the actor who plays the Doctor. He's just so fun, quirky and cute. He definitely makes the show fun.



5) Monarch of the Glen-this show is about this guy who has to go back the Highlands of Scotland to help save the family estate. The plots for each show can sometimes seem a bit silly and predictable at times, but the characters really make up for it. You come to love them. I really love the guy's dad. He's this fun old man stuck in the aristocratic traditions of his time. The spectacular views of the Highlands also make it worth watching, it's gorgeous!

So this is just the beginning of my top BBC productions list, I'm sure more will be added as time goes on. But I definitely encourage you to see these ones, they are great. Are there any suggestions for me?

1 comment:

Kalia said...

ahh! It's come to my attention that Pride and Prejudice isn't BBC...it's A&E...oops. Oh well, I still love it...the rest are really BBC