Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dead Author #3

So as you can tell, there's been a theme of dead author's homes. It just turned out that way, Shirin was moving from Boston and hadn't seen the Longfellow House...so that just perpetuated the dead author thing. So now Shirin and I are making it our thing. Any suggestions for our next adventure? I've already been to Mark Twain's house...but not with Shirin...

Anyway, this time it was Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's house. I volunteered there last fall, cataloging Longfellow's books. They're all indexed on those old school cards, but not on the computer database. It's slightly tedious, but I got to fondle all of Longfellow's books! How cool is that?

I've already done a blog post about the Longfellow House, it's really cool. But this tour we heard more of his poetry and...got to see where there was once an elevator. They disarmed it and changed it to a closet, but it was still pretty cool. Longfellow's daughter added it when she owned the house. She was sick and needed it. The controls are still there in the basement, it was a hydrolic elevator. Fancy. It was a fun tour, even though it was blasted hot.

I got to see the gardens in full bloom. They have a really pretty garden on the side of the house. It wasn't this pretty in the fall.


My camera randomly went into Sepia mode and I took these pictures of the surrounding neighborhood.
Oooo, look how dramatic they look! I love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kalia! You forgot to mention the part where Longfellow himself came back from the dead and personally thanked you for archiving his books. So modest you are, leaving that bit out.

<3,
Shirin