Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dead Author #1





Robert Frost
 

My wonderful roomates from Boston came up to Derry to visit. They had both been up before, but separately. So it was a special treat to have them up together. In honor of such a special occasion, we paid a visit to the Robert Frost Farm, one of the only touristy things to do in Derry. Here's Shirin (in the green) and Amy Beth (in the blue) absorbing our tour guide's vast knowledge.
And here's me absorbing some knowledge...or pondering the knowledge I had just aquired. Of course I had to get a picture on Frost's toilet. As the guide said, this is the only guaranteed place he sat. Some older tourist with our group also got a picture of me...he showed me on his camera...weird. I love how my face is all red. I was slightly embarrassed cuz there were people watching me be silly.
The grounds of the farm are beautiful. There are trails to walk. You can walk along "The Mending Wall" even. Some clouds rolled in and we got a little rain too.



Oh, I wrote a poem that day too. The guide told us how Frost would listen in on their party line for "research". My poem goes thusly:
There were ten farms and one phone line
Back then it equaled party time
Listening in while others converse
Today some might think it quite perverse
But in the 1900s it was so fine
to listen in on the party linePosted by Picasa

2 comments:

Leah said...

I am slightly disturbed that you sat on that toilet. It is cool but----- yikes!

Anonymous said...

The best part was that we overheard an older lady who was on the tour mumbling, "I used to listen in on the party line all the time, too."

<3,
Shirin