Saturday, July 18, 2009

4th of July Weekend




Mandie's brother Joey flew into Boston on Friday the 3rd. We picked him up and headed over to Nate's work at the Broad Institute. He took us around the lobby, showed us all the fancy high tech stuff they had. And then we got to go up to the laboratory. Nate was in his element. Lucky for him Mandie and Joey were fascinated by it all. Nate just gets too into it for me...explaining all the sciencey stuff. I appreciate what he's doing, cancer research and all, but I don't need to know exactly what he's doing. Science doesn't do it for me. But I did get to see robots this time. Big robot arms that do a bunch of tests at one time.
Anway, we made it back to Nate's apartment after several wrong turns. Don't soley rely on GPS...sometimes it goes a little screwy, especially in Boston apparently. We just hung out that night.

Here's Nate soaking up the sun. It had been rainy for about all of June.

Nate's place is made up of about 3 levels. Mandie got this great shot.


Saturday we went and got Dim Sum, a Chinese brunch type thing. Nate's friends call it a crazy Chinese food circus...or something like that. Cuz they wheel around carts and ask you what you want. So that was fun. We then went around to different shops, trying to get dressy clothes. So Mandie and I HAD to go look at shoes and bags. We made our way back to the apartment and hung around until it was time to make it over to the Charles River for FIREWORKS!!
We managed to get a good spot, even though we showed up 5 minutes before it started. Everyone and their dog (yes, there were a lot of dogs out) were making their way to the river. It was like one of those movies were the zombies are on the streets being called to a central meeting place. Freaky.
Here is a video of fireworks. We were on the Cambridge side of the river, so we couldn't hear the music on the other side, from the Esplande where the big concert and Pops concert was. I found out later that Neil Diamond was performing. Dang it! I missed him!


When we got back, Chris and his girlfriend Amy were there! We stayed up super late playing a game...what was it called? Something like Loaded Questions or something. All I remember is the tag line was: Expose yourself. I made several jokes about that...It was one of those games where you all answer the same question, and then one person reads 'em to another, and that person has to guess whose answer is whose. That was fun, we got to get to know each other better.

Sunday was Peter Mead's wedding, the reason we were all together. We got all ready, and we looked good, and drove up to Kittery, Maine. I underestimated the time it would take to get there...so we got there 30 minutes late...but so did the bride! So we got there just in time for the I Do's.

And the reception was really nice, laid back. It gave everyone a chance to catch up with people they hadn't seen for years.Nate and Joey chattin' it up with Jeff Mead

Paul Kelly took some pictures of the event

our design we made from the stuff for the centerpieces

Nate playing with Mandie's bracelets

No comments: